My son has been competing in the sport for many years now and I am always trying to come up with healthy snacks and meals. Since he is allergic to all nuts except peanuts, I have had to get a little creative with ingredients. In my search I discovered Hemp and Chia seeds. These are nutrient packed little seeds that also add some much needed protein for athletes. This recipe can be easily adapted to add some of your own favourite ingredients.
Fuel to Go Protein Bars
recipe by Laureen King from ArtandtheKitchen
- 1/2 cup peanut butter (either smooth or crunchy)
- 1/4 cup of corn syrup (agave will also work, but doesn't firm up as well)
- 1/4 honey
- 1/4 cup brown sugar packed
- 4 tsp butter
- 1 cup Rice Krispies
- 1 cup mix of raisins, dried blueberries, cranberries, apricots, sour cherries (any dried fruit to make total of about 1 cup).
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, chia seeds & hemp seeds.
- Mix together peanut butter, corn syrup, honey and brown sugar and butter in saucepan.
- Heat over low heat until all is melted, stirring constantly.
- Don’t boil or it will get too hard.
- In large bowl mix together all remaining ingredients.
- Add syrup mixture into bowl and blend until well combined.
- Press firmly into 8x8 greased pan.
- Refrigerate until set.